A Travellerspoint blog

May 2008

"......I was delayed."

Yes, I am still alive. Planning was put on hold due to my brother being in the hospital and my mother losing her job. It was about a month's worth of stress. Still a bit of stress now, but better than it was.

Long story short.........my brother went to the hospital because his heart rate was through the roof. It was so fast that the nurse couldn't even count it. I think it was around 260. Insane. So, they had to put him to sleep and shock him to get his heart rate down. It worked but the doctor kept him overnight. The next day the doctor said that he wanted to be very thorough and that he wanted to send him to Sacred Heart hospital in Spokane which is about 30 minutes away from us. They have some of the best cardiologists there. So he spent a few nights there, had some tests done and they basically diagnosed him with ventricular tachycardia. But he is the only person they have ever seen (it's not documented anywhere) to have it located on the right side of the heart. It's always found on the left side. But not with my brother. They did a 2 hour procedure where they gave him an abrasion in the area where the problem was and they said that they were completely able to cure it and they don't see any reason why he can't go on living a normal life. They also said that he will be documented in textbooks for electrophysiology. That was a trip. All in all, he was in the hospital for a week and it happened and was over with just like that. It was crazy. It's weird to think that it was a month ago already.

A week after all that happened, my mom was let go from her job. They said that she was being "too resistant" to the new system. They got the new system 8 months ago so how come it took them that long to get rid of her??? She had been with them for 6 years. She never got along with the office manager and from everything we have heard, it sounds as if they were just trying to get rid of the position all together and just trying to find some reason to get rid of her. It couldn't have come at a worse time. We're doing okay now. It's hard but we're making it. I think it'll be easier on them when I leave. One less person using the cars which means less money spent on gas. So, needless to say, it's been a hard month.

But regardless, I am still very excited for my trip and everything seems to be going smoothly. I just recently booked my one way flight to San Diego through ExpressJet. I'm stoked cuz it's a one way trip but not so stoked as it's a smaller plane. But, they DO have memory foam seats and dollar drinks so it can't be that bad. I'll just watch a movie the whole way there and hopefully it'll be a smooth flight.

Ron emailed me a few weeks ago saying that our rental car was booked and also our horse trekking tour with Dart Stables. Very cool. Can't wait to do that one. I'm sure I've said it before but I can't wait for the car ride from Christchurch to Queenstown. I'm sure the scenery will just be unbelievable. And since I have my new laptop I can upload the photos instantly and get them sent out to everyone super fast.

So there's everything......updated for your reading pleasure!!!

Posted by Squarabara 22:23 Archived in New Zealand Tagged preparation Comments (0)

(Entries 1 - 1 of 1) Page [1]